Friday, November 30, 2007

Learning to run

I've been getting into running, with my most recent achievement being running 48 miles in 4 weeks. I've gotten faster, and I've even run non-stop for 60 minutes. What has helped is running on an empty stomach, the ability to track my progress, and Audio books. One of the problems I've been struggling with lately have been shin splints, but not where they normally occur, laterally to the tibia, but posterior and medial to the tibia. The Soleus muscle is responsible for foot flexion, and is located behind the tibia and fibula, and helps to pull the foot in. I kept on running toward my 48 mile goal while my shin splints were getting worse, until, the week after I finished, while attempting a 10k (6.2mi) run, the pain became so unbearable that I had to (painfully) walk back home after only 2.5 miles. The pain was so bad, that sticking rock solid ice packs directly on the area felt good. After taking a week off, and then only running sporadically for the 2 weeks after that, they have begun to feel better. During a follow up to the great Physical Therapist I see on base, I was given a run analysis. It turns out that I was running wrong, keeping my knee locked and projecting forward with my foot and toes. Instead, I have to teach myself another way to run, by using the hamstrings and thigh to push off. The problem is that it feels unnatural to me, and is really straining those muscles while they adjust to the extra work. While I did not have much shin pain from the 3 mile run today, I did feel like bigfoot while I was running.

No comments: