Sunday, October 22, 2006

New killer app & taste of Home

After reading about Democracy Player on boingboing I thought I'd check it out. It plays video, but it does even more than that. It promises to take internet video to the masses, but integrating RSS feeds of video, distributed through bittorrent. It means fast, TV resolution videos over the internet, with DVR functionality that can automatically download new videos, and watches your hard drive to keep it from becoming filled up.

I've found a couple of good channels to watch:
Channel Frederator, a podcast done by the guys that do Fairly Odd Parents and My Life as a Teenage Robot.

TeleMusicVision, Indie music videos.

Texas Country Reporter Which was broadcast locally in Houston, and in other Texas towns. I remember this guy from the Dairy Queen TV commercials.

There are still some bugs to be worked out with the player, but it definitly has promise, and provides another great example of the use of P2P technologies for something other than piracy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't find the Texas Country Reporter channel. Where is it?

Tex said...

Texas Country Reporter can be found here:
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=texascountryreporter

I can't contact you if you comment as anonymous.