Monday, October 02, 2006

Still don't know if I should be happy or disappointed

I found out around 6pm tonight that I will be deploying to the Sunny shores of Panama City, Florida for four months beginning in early January 2007. I was disappointed when I found out because I had really wanted to go overseas. I am tired of being stopped in public when I am in uniform and thanked. I work on computers, I've checked ID cards at the gate. I don't feel like I have done anything that has had that great of an impact on this country to be deserving of thanks. Regardless of the fact that this country is on the verge of turning into something that is not worth protecting, I don't feel like I have really contributed. I was looking forward to going to the Middle East in January, to experience the war as a warrior, even if it is from an Air Conditioned Comm tent. Not to mention the Tax Free status and the hazardous duty pay I would receive.

I will still feel unworthy of thanks, but at least I will be within 3 hours of home.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You sound more disappointed than happy. I know that your immediate and extended family members are thrilled that you'll be going to Florida instead of the Middle East. And don't worry, you can experience some combat as the early birds rush to get to the sale items, check out lines, and beat the red lights. Lynn