Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Latest email to My Rep.

Judge Poe,

 

   I recently read your explanation to your vote against returning to House ethics rules. While I think your explanation is well intentioned, I can't help but think that our elected Representatives should be held to a higher standard. You talked about the Constitutional protects for the alleged, but I can't seem to draw the same parallels between the requirements for a Representative to step down from a committee while under indictment, and the loss of liberty associated with the criminal justice system.

 

I do see this as ironic that when the Republicans passed the "Old Rules", it was in their best interest, as it is now, when they are trying to hang on to the more lenient rules that they have recently brought about. I also see that the Honorable Tom Delay, who redistricted you into office, is the reason why the Republicans are against the rules.

 

I want to believe you voted for the reasons you give, but because of the Delay debacle, the Schiavo meddling, and the threat of the Nuclear Option, I have almost no faith in Republicans to do what's right for democracy, instead of furthering their own self interests.

 

v/r,

Charles F Presley II

No comments: