Saturday, March 26, 2005

Be careful jumping to 64 Bit

Be careful jumping to 64 Bit
I've just upgraded my boxen to a AMD64 3200+ with 2GB of ram. I downloaded WindowsXP 64 bit eval from microsoft (free, not pirated), and thought the same thing as the guy in the post. I am finding that most drivers and software written for x386 procs do not work, even though MS claims that it will, unless it contains legacy 16-bit code.
I guess I'll just roll back to 32bit XP, until MS releases the XP64, and all my drivers support it. This reminds me of back in the day when windows 2000 came out, or when Windows 9x came out. It took a good year after release before new software started to run natively in 9x, and about that same time for drivers for existing hw to support NT5. I hope it doesn't take that long, it seems like 64 bit procs have already been out a year.

No comments: