Saturday, March 12, 2005

No Slapped head, bad controller.

i took the bad HDD out of my comp, Of all the drives in the array, the newest one is what failed. I would have figured my IBM DeathStar 75gxps would have failed already, since I've had them for almost 5 years. Instead, a 1 year old Maxtor Diamond Max 40GB weent out. The bios doesn't even recognize it, so I suspect the controller board. I took it apart and noticed several dark brown spots on the foam that insulates the controller board from the hard drive casing. This may be normal, but I suspect that several resistors overheated on nthe board, causing or resulting from the damage. Now, my only hope to recover the 120GB RAID 0 array is with the extra 40gb drive that I ordered. If it is the controller board, then a direct swap of the boards should work, if not, then I'm really screwed. If weren't for my work laptop, I wouldn't know what to do. I have a paper due on Monday, and thankfully I found a draft of it in my GMAIL account.

I also had a guy come by and pick up a fender and hood from my wrecked 240.
I think I will go running in the park before sunset, the winds look really good for flying a kite.

No comments: